Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Innocent In His Eyes

Hey Friend,

I remember Sunday evenings as a little girl.  Of course, I'll date myself with this confession, but I recall getting my bath and pj's on in time to watch my favorite TV show as a youngster.  I would sit, enthralled, by Lassie- the always heroic collie dog. 

The plot was so predictable, but nonetheless, I always wound up in tears at some point during the show.  Why?  because I was so afraid that something bad was going to happen to Lassie or to one of the helpless other creatures that she was trying to rescue.  Whatever happened, I didn't want Lassie to die.

Even as an adult, I can watch movies and see people (adults) get hurt or even killed and it will not strike me as much as when a horse, cat, dog, or other innocent animal is killed.  There's something inside me that cries out, "NO  THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!". For a long time, I thought there was something wrong with me that I felt this way. 

This past week, we said a sorrow-filled farewell to our furry family member of fourteen years - Zoe.  Her passing has affected me profoundly.  I find myself crying at the drop of a hat.  I reasoned that perhaps I felt this way because Zoe has loved me and our family unconditionally for 14 years.  She has been loyal and loving and devoted. 

While all of that is true...it still wasn't quite scratching the itch that asked, "Why do I seem to feel more passion for animals than I do for people at times?"

I started to look on the flip side.  Yes, Zoe gave us glimpses of God's unconditional love.  We'd forget to give her a meal and she would forgive us immediately.  We'd leave and come back and you'd think we were the best thing since peanut butter.  She'd see us at our worst and still give us licks.  Yes, she loved unconditionally.

There was something, however, about how I loved her.  When I looked at her I saw innocence.  When, as a pup, she did something wrong like chew my slipper or pee on the carpet, the ears immediately went down when I'd catch her, and her eyes would sheepishly look up at me as if to say, "I know I did wrong and I'm sorry."

People aren't that way.  We are experts at shifting the blame...pointing the finger...passing the buck.

We've been doing it since time began...

In Genesis 3:11 in the garden God asks Adam, "Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?"  The man (Adam) said, "The woman you put here with me - she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." (first shift of blame)

Then the Lord said to the woman, "What is this you have done?"  The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." (second pointing of the guilty finger)

Within just a few lines, already sinful Adam and Eve, are doing what humans so craftily do - they pass the buck. 

I didn't like it when my children were young and they would each point the finger at the other and say, "SHE/ HE did it, not me!!!"  I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. 

Shifting the blame is sinful behavior.  Perhaps I don't like sin in myself and, to be truthful, I don't like it in others. 

Since the fall of man (the original bite of the apple) man has been selfish, manipulative, greedy, covetous, malicious, and sometimes downright evil.

Interesting....I'm starting to get a read on why people die on TV and I don't blink, but whatever you do, don't hurt the animal.

Animals, I believe, are one of the closest things to innocence that we see.  Animals and babies or small children.  They are not capable of choosing to be malicious or sinful in their behavior.  They are the closest thing to purity that we experience on this earth.  Nothing here is perfect, but babies and animals come pretty close.  They don't think in evil ways.  To me they appear innocent.

I think I loved Zoe so much because to me she seemed so innocent and she seemed so innocent because she was so loving. 

Even in my best moments of loving, I am still stained and conditional because I am human. 

Sometimes I've wondered how God truly sees me, because sometimes I know I can be annoying as all get out.

Thankfully God sees me through a filter that no one else can see me through.

He sees me through the blood of Christ. 

Because I am covered in Christ's sacrificial blood, God doesn't see my sins, He only sees Jesus' perfection. 

In Christ's blood I am purified.  I am seen as completely innocent in His eyes. 

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

All I have to do is confess my sin (I willingly accept my guilt and don't shift the blame) and God forgives and He purifies, not from some, but from ALL unrighteousness.

Yes, Zoe has shown me glimpses of God's unconditional love for me, but even more so, she's reminds me that just as I see her and love her because she is so innocent, God sees me as innocent in His eyes because He sees me through the blood of His son.

Even more unfathomable, God doesn't love me because of something I did or didn't do.  No, He loves me just because he created me. 

God, by His very definition IS love.  He cannot deny Himself, so He is never fickle or moody or disappointed.  He is always lovingkindness.

Maybe if I tried to imitate His example I would see people in a whole new light. 

Maybe, I too, can look at them through the filter of Jesus' cleansing blood. 

I pray so...

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you that you ARE love and you cannot deny the lovingkindness that is your character.  Forgive me of my judgment of others.  Help me to see them through your eyes and as you do, through the blood of Christ.  Thank you for the pets you give us that not only show us glimpses of your unconditional love for us, but who teach us how to love...to see beyond the sin to the Christ purified innocence of those who call Him Lord.  Continue to soften my heart that I may love like you love.  You, O, Lord are mighty to be praised.  In Jesus' precious name, I pray.  Amen

This post dedicated to our sweet Zoe bear....be blessed....


ps. Know that if you read my blog, I pray for you morning and evening.  Please feel free to contact me if I can pray for you more specifically.
We are still in need of people who are willing to save lives and souls...many children are still on the waiting list to get out of the way of extremists and terrorists and into the loving, Christian, environment of our school.


Reed the stories of transformed lives and go to the "DONATE" page.
Some of the children still on the waiting list...




34 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your precious dog, Bev. They really are family members and grow to mean so much to us. My sister is the same way about being able to handle things happening to people on TV over animals. I love your point about it having to do with their innocence. That really makes a lot of sense. Many blessings to you and your family as you continue trying to heal from your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Candace, for your condolences. I've always been a sensitive soul to animals, so I suppose God has used that to reveal facets of His nature to me. I believe God uses all of His creation to speak to us.
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  2. Dear Bev ... I am so sorry for your loss. This is a great grief for you and your family. May you experience God's comfort and peace in those lonely spaces ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda...so thankful that God is true to His promise - He will not leave us comfortless! Grateful to have such a Heavenly Father.
      Blessings and thanks,
      Bev

      Delete
  3. I'm praying for you and the loss of your sweet Zoe. Never having had animals growing up, I didn't understand the feeling but when my son got a dog, a Golden, and he lived with me for six months, I got it. I understand the innocence that is true innocence. I understand unconditional love and forgiveness. You are right in saying that people tend to skirt around and issue or figure out a way to make it not seem so bad. There is always an angle.

    God always embraces us, faults and all and loves us with an everlasting love. The lesson that Zoe taught you and your family is one that mirror the beauty of being a child of God. Thank you for sharing this lovely story with all of us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      Yes, God does indeed embrace us faults and all and His love is everlasting. Zoe did teach us about the unconditional love that comes from being a child of God. My prayer is that all who read this would be touched by God's unconditional love for them. Thank you so much for your prayers...they are felt!!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  4. Oh Bev, I'm so sorry to hear about your precious pup. I feel the same way about my little doggie. She loves me conditionally, never yells at me, never talks back, is always there for me, not matter what. I pray the Lord would comfort you in this time of loss. I so appreciate you linking up for Let Us Grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie,
      Your comment reminds me of when my son asked me once, "Mom, don't you wish that dogs could talk?" I remember thinking to myself...that's the beauty....they never talk back :) Just like they are always there for us...how much more so is God always there for us. I'm so thankful that He gave us a four legged reminder in our Zoe.
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  5. Oh Bev, I feel the same way about animals. I hurt for them because like you said, they are innocent, unlike devious humans. I'm sorry about Zoe. My heart breaks with you friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy,
      I was really struck by how I was drawn to her innocence and it just led me to how God always sees us as innocent through the veil of Christ's blood. Thank you for your heartfelt compassion!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  6. I think you're right: our hearts respond to animals, babies, and young children because of their innocence. And I believe your Zoe bear and the beloved pets of everyone will be blessed to live on the new earth with us (Romans 8:19-22). Somehow God will make room!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy,
      I pray that you are correct that these beloved creatures will be with us on the new earth...I can't imagine paradise without them. They are truly God's ambassadors of His unconditional love and a reminder of the purity that one day will be ours.
      Blessings dear friend,
      Bev

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. They're family members too. They give so much love and teach us so much about unconditional love. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn,
      Yes, they are furry family members who lavish us with unconditional love!! Thanks for the ((hugs))...much needed!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about your loss. I love the unconditional love and innocence that we can see in pets. Humans are so complicated sometimes (myself included)! I like the reminder that God sees us as innocent because of Jesus and it would make a difference to look at others through that filter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carly,
      That is my daily challenge...to look at others through the filter of God's great love for them. Easier said than done sometimes. Seeing others how God sees me...may I grow in this ability.
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  9. I think it was George MacDonald who said that the eyes of a good dog do always behold the face of the Father. I think of that when I look into our dog's eyes. So sorry for your loss -- and so thankful for this lovely application of your sorrow. Blessings, Bev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele,
      I love that quote...a good one to hang onto!! Thank you for your sweet condolences and yes, God is revealing Himself even in the loss of my beloved Zoe.
      Blessings friend,
      Bev

      Delete
  10. Oh, Bev -- ((Hug)) I'm so sorry for your loss. Furry friends leave such an emptiness when they pass away. I hate that for you. HUG Love your admonition to see everyone through the blood of a worthy savior. Such wise words. Thank you for sharing. Prayers for y'all. ((xoxo))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda,
      Thank you for your sweet and caring heart and your ((hugs)) - they are much needed! I miss my girl so much. Reflecting on her, did open my heart to seeing God in a new light and has convicted me regarding looking at others through the lens and blood of Christ.
      Love and blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  11. It's hard to lose a longtime faithful pet. I'm sorry for your loss. I appreciate your insights here and pray the prayer right along with you. I'm so thankful that God see us through the blood of Jesus loving us and forgiving us and making us new creatures. Blessings to you! I'm your neighbor at #LetUsGrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Gayl,
      So glad you stopped by. Thank you for your kind words. So thankful that God redeems us when He forgives us...all by the grace of Jesus' blood.
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry for your loss, Bev. I loved how you wrote about Zoe and I felt myself nodding my head. I'm thankful our Father sees us as you saw Zoe. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie,
      Zoe's passing did make me ponder just how God sees me...much like I saw my sweet Zoe bear - innocent. So thankful for Jesus' sacrifice. Because of Him I am always innocent in God's eyes!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  13. Aw, so sorry about your sweet pup. She sounds lovely and I'm sure she was blessed to be part of your family. I love these points. I had never really realized before why human death on TV is no big deal, but animal deaths get everyone so upset. What a good point! PTL he demonstrates innocence for us in our furry friends (and very young people!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany,
      I don't know for sure...but this was just my take on this subject. I questioned it in myself and some Spirit led introspection led me to those conclusions. Regardless, God uses all of creation to demonstrate His great love for us!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  14. Bev, so sorry about your loss. It is amazing how much we come to love our pets. It took us a long time to get over our loss 3 years ago. But I am so glad we were neighbors this morning as you shared from 1 John 1 as I did this morning. I love when God intersects two posts in this way in my life. He has a way of driving a point home :) Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne,
      There are no coincidences in God's playbook :) So glad we were both on the same wavelength and what great scripture to draw from. Always so glad to see you here!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  15. Yes! I often pray to have the eyes of Jesus when I see other people. I'm not always successful! But when I am, it certainly changes my perspective. I'm sorry about your dear Zoe. Fourteen years is a long time and you must miss her so. Thanks for sharing your story with us today, Bev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly,
      Thanks for your condolences. Since Zoe's passing I have really been challenging myself as to whether I see others from God's perspective?! Thankfully He keeps reminding me and urging me one step closer.
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  16. Bev, I can barely read this without wanting to cry. Our Sam is going to be 12 this summer and I can't take breaths when I think about him not being here. He is healthy and fine, but....we are empty nesters, so Sam is my 4th !!! He is a dear and faithful friend. Did you read about the sheep dog that recently died at 30 years old? Can you even imagine. Your neighbor, again! At Beth's #27

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Part of the difficulty in losing Zoe was toward the end when I constantly wondered...is it today? tomorrow? two weeks or a month from now? The wondering and waiting really drove me nuts. I wish I could have just tried to relax more in her final days, but we love them so much it's hard to do. Praying for you sweet friend that God will walk you through Sam's time (whenever that may be) with love and comfort. Enjoy this time with him now and try to be present in every day. So thankful that you too have such a faithful friend. They truly are gifts from God!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  17. Interesting post, Bev! I've never given much thought to why people are drawn to animals or feel great compassion toward them versus how they feel toward humans. I think I've always chalked it up to the fact that they don't sin against us--not really. But I think you bring to light a lovely correlation between their unconditional love and our Father's perfect and unconditional love. His far surpasses it, but these sweet animals give us a taste of that beauty, don't they?! Great post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      With Zoe's passing, I've done a lot of reflecting and it's truly amazing how God demonstrates His unconditional love for us through so many avenues, including our pets. It really struck me that if I saw Zoe as innocent...how much more so does God see us as innocent through the veil of His Son's blood. So thankful for the awesome God we have!
      Blessings and thanks for the encouragement,
      Bev

      Delete

I would really LOVE to hear from you!! Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions and prayer requests mean a lot to me.