Sunday, April 8, 2018

Our God Is A Mighty Warrior

Hey Friend,

My neighbors must be wondering what on earth is going on since I am out in my backyard several times a day yelling, "No," or "Get out of there!!"  

Over the weekend, my husband and I were outside working in our backyard when all of a sudden we heard an awful "squeak" as our beagle ran off with a baby bunny in his mouth.  I was thankful that my husband was home.  I have pulled dead squirrels out of my dog's mouth, but a baby bunny?  That would have been too heart-wrenching for this sensitive gal.

Now the question was, what do we do with the bunnies remaining in the nest that our beagle (an instinctive hunter) had discovered?  After some quick research on bunny habits, we constructed a pen of sorts to keep Topper out during the day, but then we opened it up in the evening so that momma bunny could come to feed the little ones.  


Did you know that mother rabbits will only come but five minutes or so a day so as not to attract predators to her nest?  

The only problem is that our beagle is not only preoccupied, but is obsessed with this bunny nest.  I tried to plant some flowers in the backyard, but found myself bouncing up continually to chase Topper away from the nest that drew him in like a magnet.  

Ironically, this ongoing routine of ours reminded me of a segment of scripture I read in Exodus.  Stick with me on this one...

It's Chapter 14 in Exodus.  Moses is leading the Israelites out of captivity in Egypt.  After multiple plagues, Pharaoh tells Moses to go, but then his heart is hardened and he goes after them.  Pharaoh's army has pursued the Israelites and has them basically pinned up against the Red Sea.  They are surrounded with no way out.  

The people are terrified and cry out to Moses that they should have never left Egypt.  Then Moses answers the fearful throng:

"Do not be afraid.  Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today.  The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.  The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."  (Exodus 14:13-14)

We all know what God did next....He parted the Red Sea, led His people safely across, and then released the sea walls again so that they swallowed up the Egyptians.
  
What did the Israelites have to do to save themselves?  Absolutely nothing.  They just had to remain still and KNOW the Lord would fight for them.

So back to my "Backyard Bunny Parable".  If you will give me a little creative license...  The baby bunnies are kind of like the Israelites - kind of like you and me.  The enemy (the beagle) prowls about seeking to destroy and kill (much like Pharaoh and the Egyptians). 

Just as the bunnies are cornered in their nest, the Israelites were hemmed in by the Red Sea.  Like them, we find ourselves in trials and struggles, from which, we have no earthly idea how to escape.  The beagle, Pharaoh, the enemy is in hot pursuit.  He has an arsenal of weapons and lies that he uses to destroy.  

But, God....He doesn't say, "Okay bunnies, Israelites, (fill in your name), fight your way out of this one.  No, He tells us, "Be still," and He fights FOR us!  

I know this is a stretch, but... I swoop in like God.  I chase the beagle away from the bunnies like God took care of the Egyptians in the Red Sea. The only thing I'm armed with, however, is a garden hose.  What did the baby bunnies do?  Yes, they cowered, but they did absolutely nothing because a force greater than themselves was at work over the enemy.   

So after Moses and the Israelites are safe on the other bank, He and the prophetess, Miriam, sing a song in which they praise God:

"The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation...

The Lord is a warrior."
(Exodus 15:2a,3a)

I've thought of God as many things, but not necessarily as a mighty warrior.  I picture Him more as being seated on His throne. But, that my friends, is exactly what He is - a warrior - when the enemy seeks to do you harm.  Even when God suits us up in His armor, He commands us to stand.  

He wants to defend us and so He reminds us time and time again that the battle belongs to Him.  We need only to be still and He will fight for us.  He knows the enemy far better than we do and so He gently tells us, "Be still."  Be still and know that He is God and He is in control.

What battles are you fighting (and perhaps losing) in your own strength?  Have you gotten to the end of yourself yet?  Are you tired and battle weary?

Then KNOW that God loves you more than anything and He wants to be YOUR mighty warrior.  

You can believe Him when He says that He will fight FOR you; you need only be still.  

He's not joking when He says the battle belongs to Him.  He's got this.  Just stand.  Be still.  Give it ALL to Him because He longs to fight FOR you.  He's on your side.  He has your back.  

Yes, He is YOUR mighty warrior....trust Him.

Dear Heavenly Father, forgive me when I attempt to fight in my own strength.  Enable me to surrender my self-sufficiency and let YOU go to battle for me.  Help me not to fear - even when things look hopeless.  Nothing is too hard for you, Oh Lord.  I believe; help my unbelief.  When I doubt, remind me that you are on my side.  You are my defender and that my battles are YOUR battles.  Help me to believe with all my heart that You will fight for me; I need only to be still.  Work this truth into my heart so that it casts out fear.  I thank you and I praise you.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

If you prayed this prayer with me, will you turn your battle over to the Lord?  He is, indeed, a mighty warrior who will fight for YOU because He loves you. 

Be blessed....

And the winner is: Tune in Weds. for the "Big Reveal" and Smile Brilliant Winner Announced!!


                                                                 The Studio in September

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really LOVE to hear from you!! Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions and prayer requests mean a lot to me.