Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Are You Offering Dry Crumbs?

Hey Friend,

With God, I believe, there are no coincidences.  In the past two weeks or so, I have heard or read the phrase "dry crumbs" when it comes to something we are offering.  I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I got it that God was probably trying to tell me something. 

I don't know about you, but I am used to being the helper vs. being the "helpee".  I am the mentor not the "mentee".  One of my spiritual gifts is encouragement, so I am used to being the one doing the encouraging.  You need a leader for a Bible study, a small group or mission team...I'm your gal.  That's just what I do.  It's what I've always done.

What about you?  Where do you see yourself on the scale of helping vs. being helped?  When a crisis arises, are you the first one to lend a hand.  If a volunteer is needed, are you the first one to say, "Here I am Lord, send me."?

More importantly, do you do this even when you have nothing in your tank left to give?

Don't get me wrong, the Bible calls us to serve and have a servant's heart.  But God's word also calls us to offer "living water" not "dry crumbs".

"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."  (John 7:38)

What is flowing from within you? 

God says for us to draw near and to stay in touch with Him...even in our busiest moments.  God, however, encourages us to actually withdraw in order to be close to Him.  Even Jesus had to withdraw from the crowds to pray and be close to His Father.  Otherwise, instead of offering living water, he too would be offering dry crumbs. 

But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.  (Luke 5:16)

As the masses approached Jesus, sometimes he actually had to withdraw and get this...there is no sin in doing this!  If Jesus had to withdraw to be replenished, how much more then do we?

Also note the frequency.  Jesus would often slip away.  Jesus knew that if He wasn't filled, there was no way that He would be able to fill others. 

So, why then do we give and give and give until the tank is empty?  This is a good question to reflect upon...

One of my very favorite words is the word Abide.  Through trial and error...mostly error...I have realized that I am no earthly good to anyone unless I am abiding in Christ.  In order for living water to flow through me I need to abide in Him.  I love this passage from the book "Abide in Christ".

"Abiding in Him is not a work that we have to do as the condition for enjoying His salvation, but a consenting to let Him do all for us, and in us, and through us.  It is a work He does for us - the fruit and the power of His redeeming love.  Our part is simply to yield, to trust, and to wait for what He has engaged to perform."

I have fallen into the trap that I don't think that I am serving well enough unless I am completely exhausted.  Do you realize how silly that sounds??  Yet I, and I am guessing you, sometimes do that?

If your "giving tank" is empty, will you take a break and come away with Jesus to the well of living water.  Take long drinks until the thirst is quenched.  Then go and offer living water to others...BUT don't forget to come back to the well often...again and again. 

Lord help us to accept and receive the rejuvenating living water that you offer.  Let us not be too proud or to busy to come back to the well often so that we can offer living water to others instead of dry crumbs.  Amen.

In His love,

Bev

I need your help...to bring some joy this Christmas to the orphans and destitute children who now call Redeemer Christian School their home.  A modest donation will give a child shoes, or a warm sweater as well as a meal this Christmas.  Help me to show them that others DO care. 
Send contributions to:
Bev Rihtarchik/RCS
103 Silver Lining Lane
Cary, NC  27513

Thank you and may you be blessed...




10 comments:

  1. That closing prayer, yes, I'm praying that today, too. Thank you. My heart definitely needs to remember that in all the pouring out I need to visit the well of living water to be refreshed and filled up by Him. ...so glad to be linking up next to you at Holley's today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky,
      So glad you popped over from Holley's link up! Thanks for joining me in praying that prayer...as writers we can't give what we don't have. Thank goodness we have a deep well from which to drink!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  2. I'd like to claim that I am giving Him nothing but my excellence but I can't. I am still a work in progress. I try to give my best but I find it so easy to get distracted. Thanks for reminding me that I need to prioritize our God because He deserves no less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are ALL still works in progress. Thankfully we don't have to muster up our best. Jesus invites us to abide in Him and He will give us all that we need.
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  3. This is spot on, Bev. I have pulled back in many areas because I felt I was giving "dry crumbs." But I am also trying to figure out if I'm now waiting on God to tell me to move or is He waiting on me to move. Because I'm not feeling as though my giving tank is empty right now. I just don't know where I am suppose to give. Sending much love and hugs your way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      I admit I thought of you when I was writing this. God loves your tender servant's heart, but knew you needed to back it down a bit. You and your hubby have deserved this time. God offers wisdom to those who seek it...will be praying with you as to what God has in store for your next. Never fear, girl, He's going to use you!
      Love and ((hugs)) back at you,
      Bev

      Delete
  4. Dry crumbs-what a great description of it. I want to offer the whole loaf! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "whole loaf"...I love it!! I can tell you have a heart that wants to give...just remember to be good to yourself and go to the well of living water often. Thanks for stopping by :)
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  5. Hi Bev, do you know this is for me. I was feeling weak just before I posted toady on my blog. I feel energy really draining out of me after each post. Today, I stopped for some minutes and prayed.
    Blogging is a ministry as a Christian blogger. Believe it or not every time you write as the Holy Spirit instructs you, virtue leaves. For me I feel it physically. I have cultivated the habit of praying just before I click Publish.
    I get to pray for as many that read, and for myself and family. Of course when you are doing God's work the devil ain't happy.

    God Bless Sister.
    http://purposefulandmeaningful.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ifeoma,
      I SO hear what you are saying. I just pushed "publish" on my latest blog post and I feel like a limp noodle. I literally feel like I could lie down and take a rest. I wholeheartedly believe what you say here and have experienced what you are talking about. I do feel good, though, having imparted what the Holy Spirit has whispered to me. At the same time the enemy would have me question everything I wrote...always a battle. Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I will most definitely have to stop by your blog. Much love to you sister in Christ!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete

I would really LOVE to hear from you!! Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions and prayer requests mean a lot to me.