Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Company's Coming

Hey Friend,
 
Over the years I have graduated, somewhat, from being Martha (the sister who ran circles around Jesus cooking, cleaning and serving) to being more like Mary (the sister who chose, instead, to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to Him).
 
You probably wouldn't have said that, though, if you saw me yesterday as I was a force to be reckoned with as I zoomed around the house with my roaring vacuum cleaner.  Topper, the young pup, got into a play bow and barked relentlessly at the dust-bunny sucking beast.  He jumped playfully from couch to floor to chair and back again.  Oh what fun!!
 
Zoe, my senior gal who is deaf, would saunter into whatever room I was vacuuming and proceed to lie in the middle of the floor and would peacefully doze as I tried to vacuum around her.  Couldn't they see I was on a mission here?
 
I became frustrated and huffily pulled the cord out of the socket.  Right at that moment I gazed upon the baby Jesus in my Nativity scene.  I was frantically preparing my home for earthly people to visit, but was I preparing my home, my heart for my Savior who is coming? 
 
At some point we will all be Innkeepers asked if we have room in our hearts for Jesus?
 
What have I done to prepare my heart for Christ's coming during this Advent season?
 
Every year this is a struggle for me as I fight the urge to get caught up in the world's vision of preparation, when what my heart desperately craves is to be still and focus my eyes upon Jesus.
 
This year I had the special blessing of a mystery elf...more like one of God's angels, who sent me a copy of Ann Voskamp's "The Greatest Gift - Unwrapping The Full Love Story Of Christmas".  It is a daily Advent devotional that retraces the epic pageantry of humankind from Adam to the Messiah.  It offered me time for reading, prayer and reflection as I got to Abide in Christ as I traveled, step by step, one day closer to the wonderful celebration that is Christmas.
 
This was not an easy task and yes there were times when I was nodding off to sleep as I heard God whispering in my ear.  Most mornings I set my alarm at 5am. to be able to get in my time alone with my Creator.  What I found was that I was revived, remade, rekindled, redeemed.  I sat at His feet...and I listened.
 
My home may not be ready for company, but my heart is.  This Christmas I am having a heart that whispers, "Come Holy Jesus". 
 
Company is coming and though they may need to sign their initials in the dust on my coffee table, my heart is ready to embrace them.  Celebrating Advent in this way is by far the best Christmas present that I've ever given myself. 
 
Since I will have company for awhile, I'm taking some time off from my blog.  Never fear...like dirty laundry, I'll be back.  Meanwhile I offer the Light of scripture to warm your heart this Christmas: 
 
The people who walk in darkness
will see a great light.
For those who live in a land of deep darkness,
a light will shine...
 
For a child is born to us,
a son is given to us.
The government will rest on his shoulders.
And he will be called:
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
His government and its peace
will never end.
He will rule with fairness and justice from the throne
of his ancestor David
for all eternity.
The passionate commitment of the Lord of Heaven's
Armies
will make this happen!
 
(Isaiah 9:2, 6-7)
 
 
May you be blessed with a Christmas that wraps you in God's embrace and whispers, "I love you dear child.  I love you enough to send you a Savior to save you from yourself.  Seek my truth with an open mind and you will find Me.  Open your heart, and I will enter in."
 
 
In His love,
 
Bev
 
Christmas at Redeemer Christian School, Pakistan:
 
 
 
 
 


 

  
 "When you light a dark world and the unexpected places with a brave flame of joy; when you warm the cold, hopeless places with the daring joy that God is with us, God is for us, God is in us; when you are a wick to light hope in the dark - then you believe in Christmas."  (Ann Voskamp)
 
Funds greatly needed for 2015!!  Even a modest gift will help...
Send to:  Bev Rihtarchik/RCS
               103 Silver Lining Lane
               Cary, NC  27513
 
Thank you to all who have donated thus far...be blessed!

14 comments:

  1. THank you Bev what a truly honest and very real reminder of where we get caught up at Christmas - I also spend more time on my home than my heart but feel encouraged by your story that change can happen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania,
      Yes, I am proof that change CAN happen so I hope that you will be encouraged. As I mentioned, every year it is the same struggle, but this year purposely carving out time for Advent reflection has been the best gift to myself. May you have a blessed and joyous Christmas, Tania.
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  2. Thank you Bev,

    I so very much appreciate the pictures of the Pakistani children in the Christmas Pageant. They are beautiful! Stay the course of interceding for them!

    Thank you for the reminders this December of welcoming Jesus to dwell in us, abide in us, and us in Him. Bev, I am positive your company will not mind your home looking lived in because Jesus is making Himself at home; you welcomed Him in. Your company will sense His Presence and bring peace and refreshment to them. Enjoy your company, and your time at Christmas. I will look forward when you are ready for your next devotion!

    Be blessed this Christmas with Jesus, Dave, and your company!

    Love and (hugs),

    Joanne

    Love and hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne,
      You are always such a balm of encouragement to me!! So thankful this year for the gift of YOU! Yes, my home will look lived in, but as you mentioned, I pray my company/family will see and feel Christ's presence here. That is my prayer. Wishing you and your family much peace, love and joy this Christmas Season!!
      Love and ((hugs)),
      Bev

      Delete
  3. We've got company coming the next few weekends (opening those doors!) so I really appreciate these reminders. I'm sure it all has to do with spending a year without my man, but this year more than ever my heart is so ready to celebrate the season. I will be missing that son of ours but I am rather joyful today because we actually have his return date!! Praise God! I am so very grateful for your friendship, Bev. I wish you and your family the most blessed Christmas. Enjoy your company. Enjoy Him. Much love. xoxo (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      What a special Christmas you will have being reunited with your husband after such a long absence. I know it will be bittersweet as your son will not be able to join you, but praise that you have a return date!! I so appreciate the sacrifices you make as a military wife and mom...may God especially bless you this Christmas!! I thank God for your friendship as well and am anxious to see where God is leading you in 2015?! I know He has a good and perfect plan for you! Wishing you peace and love this Christmas...
      With love and of course ((hugs)),
      Bev

      Delete
  4. Such truth. Jesus is definitely more concerned with the condition of our hearts!
    Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you say is so true...He is more concerned about the condition of our hearts and I have to admit that He's found mine in bad shape sometimes. That's why I have taken some extra care this year to prepare my heart for His coming and the time spent has been such a blessing! Aren't the children in Pakistan just beautiful?! May you have a joyous Christmas!!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  5. Bless you, Bev, for this post! I laughed when you said you were a force to be reckoned with because I am too when I get to cleaning. Yes, it's much more important to ready our hearts than our houses. Hope you'll be blessed during your blog break as you spend time with guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy,
      Wishing you and yours all the joy, wonder and peace that is Christmas!!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  6. This was my second year to read Ann Voskamp's book during Advent. Beautiful! I too have had some major euphonies this year about making room for Christ in this busy season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen,
    I believe that Ann's book will be a regular part of my Advent preparation. The only way we can truly be in step with God is to take time to abide in Him and in His word. Celebrating with you in making room for Christ in the midst of all the chaos.
    Blessings and a Happy New Year to you,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason I am just now reading this. It was a hectic holiday season. ;-) I am sure your guests felt right at home at your place, Bev, dust bunnies and all. ;-) And oh, how many times I have been there, vacuuming frantically to prepare for guests only to have the floors dirty again afterward. I'm slowly learning just to sit at the feet if Jesus, too, although I'm a work in progress. Oh, and I have a dog name Zoe too! xoxo, Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby,
      I honestly don't know how you balance raising boys, traveling over the holidays and continuing to write through it all? Will you share your secret? And, welcome to the "works in process" club!! It's taken me a much longer lifetime to learn to sit at the feet of Jesus! Let's hear it for the Zoe dogs...woof :)
      Love and ((hugs)),
      Bev

      Delete

I would really LOVE to hear from you!! Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions and prayer requests mean a lot to me.