Saturday, June 4, 2016

"Hey Day" - A Redemption Story


Hey Friend,

I remember a time that I was going through the check out line at the grocery store with my son and daughter when they were young.  My son sat perched in the front of the cart while my daughter hung on the side.  The young man bagging the groceries snagged the gallon of milk and slapped a little orange sticker that said "Paid" on the jug of milk and shoved it under the cart.

My daughter, into reading everything at this point, asked me, "Mommy, what does this say?" 

"That says 'Paid',"  I told her while fiddling through my purse in order to pay the cashier.

"Well why did he put this sticker on the milk?" she asked with typical childhood curiosity.

"That tells people that I paid for that jug of milk," I said - still somewhat distracted.

Leave it to my daughter to pull the sticker off the jug of milk.  Then she tugged on my arm until I bent down to her level.

"Here ya go Mommy," she said, as she proudly stuck the orange sticker on my forehead, "you've been paid for!"

Out of the mouths of babes such truth will come...

That was quite a few years ago.  Little did I know, at that point, that in a few years, my husband would walk out the door and abandon me and in the process leave our children in the wake.  I knew and experienced the sacrifices that go into being a single mom.  These women are heroes in my book.

My husband and I reconciled about a year later. Ten years later, he left again.  Abandoned not once...but twice.  It felt like I had the word "unworthy" seared upon my forehead.  Separation and divorce do nothing for one's self esteem.  I thought I was about as low as a person could go...

That was until the day I lost my job.  Enrollment in the school was down and one of the classes had to be cut and...well...you guessed it - it was mine.  I needed that income, meager as it was.  Now what was I going to do?

I came home and sobbed.  I tried calling my mom, my close friends and family members.  I couldn't get anyone.  I went online and was hoping there would be a friend available that I could talk to.  I desperately needed the reassurance that I, indeed, had value.  I was struggling to find any. 

My friend, Dave, from high school was the only friend online.  I hadn't talked to him in thirty plus years.  We had exchanged pleasantries on Facebook - "cute dog" was the last thing I had written.  But, that day, God prompted me in an uncustomary way to reach out and say, "Hey".  That was it..."Hey".  That was all I could muster. 

That one word prompted more written conversation and spoken conversation, then reuniting in person.  The pictures below show us celebrating the anniversary of "Hey Day" (June 2nd) and celebrating over two years of marriage.

Though I was originally redeemed- "paid for"- by the blood of Christ, that day I felt like God had purchased back something of value that had been lost - me.  I felt like once again I had that orange sticker placed on my forehead that said to the world...I am loved and I have been paid for. Someone saw value in a daughter who was of great, great value to God.

God can redeem anyone in any situation.  Nothing is beyond Him.  He is ABLE!  How have you seen His redeeming love worked out in your life? How do you hang onto God's love when others deem you unlovable?  I would love if you would share?!



Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you that through the blood of Jesus Christ,  I have been bought and paid for.  Help me not to find my worth in who others say that I am, but to truly know that I am your precious daughter because YOU have claimed me - you have paid the ransom.  I praise you for your faithfulness through good times and bad.  Thank you for your ever lasting arms you've held under me so that I would never fall.  May I be sure to always tell of the good things that you are accomplishing THROUGH me.  May your name be glorified!!  In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Be blessed...

ps. Next week I'll be blog hopping over to Holly Barrett's place.  I will provide links to her wonderful blog, "Reclaiming a Redeemed Life" as well as to her podcast on which I will be her guest. 

If you'd like to know the story behind how a middle-aged homemaker from NC came to be championing a Christian school in Pakistan, you may want to tune in.  Holly and I will be chatting about my blog, the foundation, the good works that God is up to, and ultimately about how we can reclaim a redeemed life. 

I know you'll love Holly - a native North Carolinian - who is hard at work furthering God's Kingdom.  See you then...

33 comments:

  1. Bev, this is such a beautiful testimony of God's grace, mercy, and redemption. I cannot wait to listen to the podcast! May God richly bless both you and Dave and use you greatly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne,
      Thanks...our story is more evidence of just what God can do...we can't save ourselves, but He can! Thanks for your continual love and support!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  2. Happy Hey Day! What a heart warming story - and I'll be sure to listen to that podcast . . . eventually. I haven't listened to her interview with Kate yet, but I keep the blog post in my email inbox until I get to listen. It will be so good to hear your "real" voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele,
      It was so much fun doing the interview with Holly! I love that you listen while you iron and fold laundry - a true multi-tasker :) I've always disliked the sound of my own voice, but I remind myself it's about the message and not about me!
      Blessings sweet friend,
      Bev

      Delete
  3. Happy Hey Day to you! What a wonderful story of grace. Yes, you are worthy. Very much so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mitzi!!
      God has a wonderful way of reminding us of our worth...thank you for your kind words!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Lisa,
      So thankful that you are part of our story!!
      Love you friend,
      Bev xo

      Delete
  5. Yours is a blest redemption story, Bev. What a mighty God we serve.

    And your daughter? Brilliant and wise in her youth ...

    Weekend joys to you, friend ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Kids never cease to amaze me. No wonder God says that we must become like little children in order enter His Kingdom. Yes, what a mighty God!
      Have a blessed Sunday (I'm a little slow here...)
      Bev

      Delete
  6. Happy Hey Day to you and Dave. I found myself smiling wide and a tear in my eye reading your story. I can't wait to hear the podcast. You and RCS are always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louanne,
      I tear up when I think of our story...how God worked something beautiful out of the ashes in two lives. Thank you for being a Champion for RCF, Inc. You are making miracles happen!
      Love and blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  7. Oh, I just adored this story, Bev! It's amazing to see how The Lord opened the door for you to write a single word and bring you a new life! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie,
      Yes, one word..."Hey" began a whole new chapter in two lives. We so see how God truly worked all the pain together for good. To Him be the glory!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful redemption story. I love that you celebrated "hey day" with someone who stepped up just when you needed him. I also know that as children of God we are redeemed but there are times we need a reminder that we are indeed saved. Your story really touches me and I pray that others are touched by your story today. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary,
      I do feel so blessed that God brought this wonderful man into my life and it certainly was at one of my lowest points. It just reminds me over and over again that He is ABLE and He is FAITHFUL (even when I'm not).
      Blessings friend,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  9. Wow Bev. This is profound. How hurt you must have felt. Thank God for putting a smile on your face. Congrats to you and Daventry.
    I appreciate your courage in typing the word, Hey. A simple act with so much weight.
    Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ifeoma,
      Sometimes I think that if I hadn't been allowed by God to hurt that badly, I would not have the appreciation for the love He has given me through His Son and through Dave?! I hope my story can bring hope to others...
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  10. Precious story--so encouraging. God was watching over you, planning for you, preparing for you a blessing beyond your dreams (Ephesians 3:20)! P.S. Does Dave have his own amazing story behind Hey Day?! P.P.S. You two make a handsome couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy,
      Yes, God sure was watching over me/us!! Dave does, indeed, have his own amazing redemption story as well. I think it has enabled us both to appreciate the blessings and not sweat the small stuff (and most stuff is small stuff). Thanks for your kind words :)
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  11. Love how God uses our kids to remind us of truth! Thanks for linking this post up with the #RaRaLinkup Bev.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,
      I don't know if my kids learned more from me, or if I learned more from them?? God makes it that way for a reason :)
      Blessings and thanks for popping by,
      Bev

      Delete
  12. WOW, BEV, what a testimony. LOVE THIS SO MUCH. I will definitely be heading to Holly's to hear your interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Our story is testimony that God can, indeed, bring beauty from ashes! I loved talking with Holly and am excited/nervous about the airing of the podcast :)
      Blessings friend,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful story, Bev! Amazing what God did with your small effort to say hey. Looking forward to seeing you at Holly's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy,
      God certainly can do a lot with just a little - kind of like that mustard seed. Hope you enjoy the interview on Friday :) Thanks for the encouragement!!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  14. I need to remind myself of this more often, that I AM strong. I don't always *feel* strong but that's no indicator of my real strength, who is the strongest One of all. Thanks, Joanne!

    What a beautiful story. I love that you celebrate the anniversary of your hey day. Auburn University has an official “Hey Day” every year as a welcome to new students. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Thanks for popping by...how great that Auburn has a "Hey Day"...when I moved here from the north it took me awhile to get used to "hey" vs. "hi", but after 20 years, I guess I'm a southerner lol.
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful testimony! Thank you so much for sharing your heart. What JOY we can find in our Savior!?
    -Sarah (www.sarahefrazer.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      I hope that by sharing my testimony, it can bring hope to others and glory to our Savior!! Thanks for stopping by :)
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  16. WOW! Such precious words from your young daughter with the "Paid" sticker off of the milk. I love that! Truly 'out of the mouth of babes.' Then the celebration of "Hey Day" and marriage and the blessing of God's love over you. I have truly felt the unworthiness through divorce and ten years of a devastating marriage. I felt it through 13 years of singleness and struggle. I felt it through a knocked-down woman-girl from words said, feelings crushed, so much. Yet, 23 years ago, Jesus stood at the door waiting for me to invite Him in. I married a fine Christian man 23 years ago who introduced me to God's Truth. Oh, so much and I am so grateful. Thank you for sharing this for I have felt a breath of fresh air here.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Thank you so much for sharing here. Yes, truly what comes out of the mouths of children!!! I rejoice in reading your story - how through it all, God remained faithful and continued to pursue you and redeem your precious life. Only He has the power to raise the crushed and broken in spirit. Your story gives me a breath of fresh air today!!
      Many blessing to you, your husband and ((hugs)),
      Bev xx

      Delete
  17. Thanks for sharing this beautiful redemption story. I find it extremely encouraging as I'm currently going through tough times. God indeed values us. No matter how many times life deals us a blow. And, His plan always stands. I have decided to trust Him with my life, even when I don't understand what He's doing; even when it's painful. I know His ways are higher than my ways and His thoughts higher than mine.

    ReplyDelete

I would really LOVE to hear from you!! Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions and prayer requests mean a lot to me.