Tuesday, July 18, 2017

What Does Casting All My Anxiety On Him Mean?

Hey Friend,

Most of us are familiar with 1 Peter 5:7:

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

As I was reading in 1 Peter, I was struck by what the precursor to this verse was...

"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.  Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."  (1 Peter 5: 5b-7)

I was convicted that the first step before casting my anxiety on the Lord, was to humble myself before Him.  God doesn't necessarily give grace to everyone (ie: the proud), but he pours out grace on those who are willing to humble themselves.

For me, this means admitting that I can't carry the worry, fear, doubt, and anxiety that come from them by myself.  It means that I've gotten to the end of myself and I know I need a power larger than myself to step in.  It means saying, "I can't do this on my own."

I used to think, that as a Christian, I shouldn't be anxious - that God was somehow disappointed in me if I wasn't blissfully trusting in Him at all times. I've learned the errors of my thinking.  God does not say we won't be anxious. Even the most devout Christian will experience worry, fear, doubt, and anxiety. In fact we will all experience a lot of it in our lifetime.  That's a given. 

God knows this and He lovingly invites us to cast ALL those cares upon Jesus.

Mind you, though, laying your burdens at the foot of the cross or casting your anxiety upon Him is no easy task.

I am the queen of laying my burdens at the foot of the cross and then picking them back up to stew on them awhile longer.  I have trouble laying them down, letting go, and walking away.

Similarly, think about the fishermen when they cast their fishing nets.  The act of casting takes a lot of strength.  Those nets are darned heavy and to heave them out of the floor of the boat and cast them as far away from the boat as possible takes strength, determination, and power (sometimes a supernatural power is needed to lift our weakened arms and cast those nets of anxiety).

Sometimes it takes our very last ounce of strength to lay our burdens down or to cast our anxiety upon the Lord.  

Think then too about the word "cast".  When I think of casting my anxiety, I think of flinging, throwing far, hurling, casting those anxieties as far away from the boat (my heart) as possible. 

If I will but humble my heart before Him, Jesus lovingly bids me to lay my burdens at His feet and let Him pick them up and carry them for me.

He tells me to cast the anxiety (that I will no doubt feel from time to time) upon Him. Fling it as far away from myself as possible so that I will not even be able to pick it back up again.  

Cast my cares and anxiety upon Him....Why?  Because He cares for me!

Jesus cares so deeply about me and about you.  He knows how oppressive our worries and anxieties can be.  The world is filled with them.  But, Jesus doesn't leave us to fend for ourselves.  He wants to take our burdens upon Himself and carry them for us, just like He took our sins upon Himself and gave us salvation in return.  Oh, what a wonderful Savior we have.

What worry, fear, doubt, or anxiety have you been carrying alone?  Do you truly believe that Jesus wants to carry it for you?  Are you willing to humble yourself before Him and ask for His strength to cast those anxieties upon Him and let Him deal with them so that you can live the abundant life He desires for you? 

Dear Heavenly Father, I thank you and praise you that I don't have to walk this anxiety-laden life alone.  Thank you for giving me your Son Jesus who took all my sins upon Himself.  Thank you, Jesus, for not stopping there....for inviting me to lay my burdens at your loving feet and to cast all my anxiety upon you so that you can take it and handle it for me. Thank you for exchanging my worries and fears for your peace that passes all understanding.  Help me to humble myself and turn over to you what tears me up inside.  Help me to know deep in my soul how much you love and care about me.  Let this become my truth.  In your precious name I pray, Amen.  

Be blessed....at the end of the week I will be attending the "She Speaks" writers and speakers conference.  I may just take a break from posting next week, or who knows, maybe I will have been so inspired that I'll have lots to say.  Just wanted to give you a heads up :)


36 comments:

  1. So happy that you'll be able to attend SheSpeaks! And you'll see our friend Sarah! Be careful of yourself there -- and get lots of rest beforehand. (Do I sound like your mum?) What a great outing this will be for you after so long a time in forced seclusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele,
      Thanks for caring enough to be my watchful mum!! I will be sporting my air cast boot so no one steps on my foot. SO looking forward to getting out and about among beautiful Christian women!!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Bev! I love the way you explain "casting". I, too, am so guilty of taking my concerns to the cross, only to snatched them back. It's only when my flesh finally yields to His sovereignty that I can fling those worries away. Thanks for the reminder to humbly submit first. Prayers for a blessed conference and travel experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Our flesh yielding to His sovereignty...I like that. I just don't know why I will try so long and hard to do it in my own strength until I finally yield and turn those anxieties over to Him?? Perhaps a little thing call pride? Or stubbornness? Thanks so much for your prayers, Alice, they are truly felt!!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  3. What a great message this morning Bev! It is hard to remember that I don't have to carry my worries alone, but once I remember, I feel so free!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodie,
      I was brought up in a family where self-sufficiency was valued. It's taken me a LONG time to realize that Jesus REALLY does want me to turn it over to Him and not travel this road and carry my anxieties alone.
      Blessings,
      Bev xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Bev! i am first time visitor to your Blog and really blessed to read your wonderful post. Indeed, we aren't called to carry all our burdens by ourselves but we have Jesus who cares for us and invites us to cast our burdens to Him. Blessings to you! Visiting you from God-sized dreams link up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,
      Welcome...so glad you popped by. Jesus - our burden bearer - what a wonderful gift!!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the gentle reminder to take Scripture in context, to look around and examine and understand where the writer is coming from.

    Anxiety has come knocking at my door along the way ... it's in the gene pool and it's usually not a spiritual issue. I've stopped beating myself up, I do what I need to do to deal with it, and go on my way.

    He giveth more grace, doesn't He, Bev ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      I have an anxiety disorder as well and I did think about putting an asterisk at the bottom that those of us who suffer with extreme anxiety - it is so much harder to lay it down and I believe that God knows that better than we do and allows us an extra measure of grace!!
      Joining with you in the struggle sweet friend...NO beating ourselves up!!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this. We need to be reminded of this all the time, at least I do! So good to know we can cast our cares on Him and that He cares so deeply for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy,
      Reminded again, and again, and yet again. So thankful God is patient with us slow learners, right?
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Bev!
    Have a wonderful time at the conference! I love your thought about the effort of casting taking strength from the fishermen. I'm so glad that God takes all our anxieties when we do have the strength to cast them on him -- or even if we can barely lift them! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie,
      How wonderful to see your smiling face here! Have missed you! That struck me too - the strength and effort it takes to cast those burdens and anxieties far from us! Even is we can barely lift them....He is our strength - Amen!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  8. Your post is perfect for me. I also lay down the anxiety and pick it right back up again. Shows how hard it is for me to let go of things. I appreciate your words. Very timely.

    I am praying for you as you head to She Speaks. What a wonderful opportunity for you. I can't wait to hear about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      I am the queen of not letting go, mulling, and stewing. I guess that's why i like the image of casting them far away into the sea!! Thanks for your prayer....getting ready to head out the door!! Can't wait...will miss YOU!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  9. Thanks Bev-I love this verse too and also try to pick up my cares again! But you reminded me how I wouldn't jump back into the water after casting my net or I wouldn't 'catch' the peace Jesus wants to give me! Thanks and have a great time at She Speaks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill,
      I love this - I wouldn't jump back into the water after casting my net of anxiety and burdens because I wouldn't "catch" the peace Jesus wants to give me...going to tuck that thought away :) Looking forward to the conference - almost go time.
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  10. Amen, Bev! I love the visual of casting our nets of fear, anxiety, and anything else we carry. Thank you for the reminder that He lifts our weak, weary arms to supernaturally help us! Have a great time at She Speaks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther,
      I had a wonderful time at She Speaks...a little slow getting to comments here....so thankful that He lifts our weak and weary arms to enable us to cast our anxiety and burdens upon Him. He does it all!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  11. Hi Bev! Visiting again today from #LiveFreeThursday! Really enjoyed this post! As always, it is packed with Biblical truths! Particularly needed the reminder to leave my anxieties with Him after my initial cast! And that it takes work on my part to do it! Hope to meet you in person at She Speaks! Just touched down at the airport!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison,
      Sorry we didn't meet up in person...like you, I am famous for laying my burdens down and then picking them back up again. Perhaps that's why the image of "casting" helps me to cast them away and not go after them?!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  12. Such good reminders, Bev. Especially appreciated your insight about casting being hard work. It's also repetitive work! But in casting again and again, we bring into our life boats God's promises, peace, and strength. Praise God he DOES exchange our worries and fears for his peace that passes all understanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy,
      Thank you for the important point you brought up that God does not leave us empty after the hard work of casting our cares. No, He exchanges our worries and fears for his peace that passes all understanding...Amen!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  13. Bev, I enjoyed your pondering about casting. I hadn't thought about it that way before, and you are right that true casting will help us give our concerns over to God. I pick up things and reexamine them after laying them at the foot of the cross also, and your post reminds me to leave them there and trust God with the outcome. It was lovely to meet you at She Speaks! Hope we can see each other there next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      So good to meet you too - live and in person!! May we all have the willpower to lay our burdens at the foot of the cross and leave them there. If we pick up anything, let's pick up His peace instead!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  14. I have a hard time picking them back up also once I've laid them at the foot of the cross. I really enjoyed this post and the wisdom here.
    Visiting from #TellHisStory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      So good to have you popping over from #TellHisStory!! Welcome. I think if you read the comments, we all have a problem with picking our burdens back up when we lay them down. You are not alone....
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  15. Thank you for this post. I am the queen of laying down my cares and picking them right back up again. It's so much easier said than done. I have to keep reminding myself that God paid for all of my anxieties on the cross. He has come to give me peace. I can't wait to hear about your experience at SheSpeaks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie,
      Great reminder - God/Jesus paid for all my anxieties on the cross. He did this so I could live in peace. Joining with you in taking Him up on His gracious offer!!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  16. Hi, Bev, delighted to land on your post today from...Chasing Community I think. I love this! I hadn't ever connected the word cast in that verse with the casting the net analogy. This will stick with me. I appreciate the words today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly,
      I hadn't connected the two either. Just goes to show you that God's Word is living and always has some new truth to bring to us if we are faithful to be in it! It has stuck with me too!!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  17. Good reminders today. My heart has been troubled for our daughter and family, especially their 16 year old son. Casting my net today for him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,
      I had a prodigal son and I remember day after day casting my net of cares upon Jesus. Even if we don't see immediate results, we need to keep casting in faith that He will answer and give us peace while we wait. Praying for your family!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  18. Great insights, Bev. Sometimes I feel like I am being responsible if I worry. In reality, though, this is a form of pride (i.e., I think I can handle a concern better than God). The grace of Him bearing our burdens will only come if we humble ourselves to trust Him with the burdens. I hadn't thought of it this way before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon,
      Worrying gives us the illusion that we are "doing" something, when like you said it's a form of pride that we think we can handle it better than God can. So true that humility comes first - definitely step one in laying our pride aside.
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete

I would really LOVE to hear from you!! Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions and prayer requests mean a lot to me.