Wednesday, October 29, 2014

God Is Not Disappointed In You

Hey Friend,

Even though I invited Jesus to come into my life and be my Lord and Savior at the age of thirteen, I haven't always walked the straight and narrow.  I would say that I've committed everything from big sins to little white lies, but in reality all sin is...well sin.  God does not differentiate.

What really trips me up, however, is the fact that I have tried to live a good life - to say and do things that would imitate Christ.  But, what often happens is that I do the very things that I don't want to do...I act selfishly; I speak harshly; I fail to have compassion...I don't look like Christ at all.  "Me too,"  you say?!  You mean I'm not alone?

"For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but am doing the very thing I hate." (Paul speaking in Romans 7:15)

I hope that you have not been like me, though, in getting caught up in faulty theology.  My thinking used to go like this:  I try to be like Christ.  I fail.  Therefore, God must be disappointed in me.

False!!  Nowhere in the Bible does it say that God is disappointed in us.

I am my own worst critic and so when I would screw up and do the very thing I didn't want to do, the "guilt stick" would come out and I would beat myself over the head with it.  In truth, God never beats us up with the "guilt stick" so why do we do that to ourselves?

The enemy...I call him the "sneak"...is very good at whispering lies into our ears, and some of us, are very good at taking the lies and running with them.  The enemy seeks to kill and destroy and so he would like nothing better than to render us disabled and ineffective for the Kingdom.  What better tool to use than disappointment. 

Disappointment says that we didn't live up to someone's expectations.

Just whose expectations are we trying to live up to?  God's? The world's? Our own?  Food for thought.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:  The old has gone, the new is here!  (2 Corinthians 5:17)

When we invite Christ into our lives, God sees us once and for all through the blood of Christ.  He no longer sees our sins, but instead sees us made perfect through Christ's sacrifice on the cross.  When Jesus said, "It is finished,"  the wages for our sin were paid once and for all!

If we truly, truly believe this then there is no room for disappointment. God no longer sees our mistakes and our failures...He sees us only through the cleansing blood of His son Jesus Christ.  But, Bev, God's got to know...yes, God knows, but He sees very differently than you and me.

We see mistakes.  We hold grudges.  We are not quick to forgive.  We don't easily forget.  God, however, does none of those things.

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death...(Romans 8:1-2)

The old covenant was built on doing, earning and striving.  The new covenant is built on mercy, grace and love.  If you are in Christ you live under the new covenant and in the new covenant there is no room for disappointment.

"God is love." (1 John 4:8)

In fact, the entire passage found in 1 John 4:7-21 speaks of God's loving nature.  God, who IS love embodies all the fruits of the Spirit.  In God is found: love, joy, peace, forbearance (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. (Galatians 5:22-23)

Our God IS lovingkindness!  Oh how I love that word! In mercy and grace He gave His one and only son in our place so that we could be declared righteous before Him.

God loves you...He delights in you!  Have confidence in the new creation you are in Christ.  What a gift - by accepting Christ as your Savior, you can kiss disappointment and its looming shadow goodbye forever!  What freedom that brings.  Be blessed...

In His love,

Bev

ps. As a way of saying "thank you" for encouraging me, I will be entering all the names of subscribers in a drawing for great giveaways from Holley Gerth/DaySpring (www.holleygerth.com) and Starbucks - you KNOW how I love coffee.  Subscribe by Nov. 1 in order to be eligible.

I continue to pray both morning and evening for those who read my blog.  Feel free to contact me if you have a special prayer request that you would like me to pray about. 

If you have never accepted Christ as your Savior...I would be happy to pray with you regarding that too!











10 comments:

  1. Thank you Bev, been very hard lately, and this was a much, much needed reminder. (Hugs), Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne,
    Praying for you my weary friend...wish I could sit with you over a cup of coffee and give you a gentle hug! Praying God's strength for you...be good to yourself.
    Love and ((hugs)),
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bev. I think many of us can relate. We do the very things we don't want to do and then heap guilt upon ourselves. One of my favorite verses for this is Colossians 1:21-22: "You were his enemies, separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions. Yet now he has reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault." Through Christ's death, we are holy and blameless before God! That's good news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy,
    Thanks - I love this verse! "Blameless without a single fault." It doesn't get much better than that! So glad you stopped by and shared :)
    Blessings,
    Bev xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that I make myself feel bad when God doesn't! HIS opinion is the only one that matters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, His opinion is the only one that matters! And, truly, God is not disappointed in you or in me. Clinging to that truth with you!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete
  6. So very good! Glad I caught your comment on (in)courage's latest post. Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skipped on over to your blog as well...the world needs your story! When we choose to live transparently and to be vulnerable, others are drawn to a merciful God in ways we can't even fathom. So glad you stopped by...know you are always welcome here!
      Blessings,
      Bev xx

      Delete
  7. I am so glad with your blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariella,
      What a beautiful name! I am so glad you found this post helpful. Know that you are truly loved and delighted in by a good and faithful God!
      Blessings,
      Bev

      Delete

I would really LOVE to hear from you!! Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions and prayer requests mean a lot to me.